Friday 7 March 2014

Brand Spanking New

I better go with the 'simple' layout design for my blog because I don't have a bloody clue what I'm doing.

I met an editor of one of the UK's top news magazines last night at a university networking event. In my three minute speed-dating-networking-chat-thing I told her I want to write about art and her first question (not surprisingly) was do I have a blog.

No, until now I have never had a blog. To be honest I was hoping this whole blog thing would just be a teenage fad that would pass over me, something I could ward off with enough garlic and academia, but unfortunately I have been infected with the urge to tell you something you might or might not find riveting. It terrifies me that anything I write will be saved on the Internet forever, every word, cast in virtual metal will cling to my person and I will have to drag it around in discomfort and possible regret for eternity.

I promised myself I would be positive about this experience (I'm sure I'll press 'publish' by mistake at any moment and I'll realise I'm not cut out for this) but here it goes!

Life as a graduate isn't easy. We are no longer special because we have a degree. We are a student number, a name, faceless to so many people. We have such amazing ideas, we are enthusiastic and fresh individuals. When we say we will do anything, we will literally do anything to get on the career ladder and yet the majority of the time we are not really appreciated. Graduates come two a penny, they arrive in swarms as soon as July graduation hits. How can we possibly make a mark on our society? Technology means that people on the other side of the world can read about what we had for breakfast, everyone is immersed in technology now. The Internet is the most powerful and infomative technology that the world has ever seen but it is also the biggest rubbish bin. Why is my blog any different from anyone else's? It isn't. I don't know if anyone will ever read it but if you are a graduate you will probably understand how I feel.

I am hoping that the mistakes I make on here, in my MA and my life as a graduate might help you out. Paths that I take and decisions that I make will be noted and you can judge if they were right or wrong, bad or good split-second decisions.




No comments:

Post a Comment